Thursday, June 12, 2014

CAJ #8: My brother does not agree!

The other day I had a serious discussion with my dear brother about the highly controversial topic Space Exploration. It was quite surprising that he had a completely different opinion and viewpoint regarding this topic.


I began the conversation by telling him that am I currently writing a Current Affairs Journal and what topic I chose. I started by asking him what his opinion about space exploration was. To my surprise, he was completely against it. He immediately stated that it is a total waste of money in his opinion. I was shocked. As I could not think of one single negative fact about space exploration, I asked him to tell me his "oh so" convincing arguments. He argued that the money that is being spent in the research is one of the most wasteful activities one could spend money. “There are so many better things that money could be used for. It should be spent on something that could benefit much more the people living on our planet. What do I get from the fact that a new planet is discovered? Nothing. We are facing serious problems on Earth, like the disappearance of the rain forests, the pollution of the oceans, climate change, wars etc. If we put money in hands of people who could fix problems like this, we could have lasting benefits for mankind. Other than that, I really do not want to know about some extraterrestrial beings that are present on other planets. They, in fact, could be dangerous for human life on Earth.” I could not believe all this negativity about the exploration of something new. As I really got absorbed in this topic I was ready to fight back and explain that he is not right. I started off by stating some of the nearly uncountable benefits we, as humans living on Earth, have from the research. Space exploration is crucial for developing areas from medicine to scientific research in general. Many discoveries and products have been developed from the knowledge gained from space exploration. One major discovery would be the satellites which are used to forecast the weather. They have saved numerous lives because satellites can predict hurricanes and dangerous storm systems, and help us prepare for the worst. Another great benefit would be GPS (Global Positioning System) that helps man navigate through land, air, and sea. Even everyday items are discovered thanks to it. For example, non-stick pans and surfaces were also created as a result of space exploration. The internet, parts of the computers that we are using every single day and so on.


I kept on telling that compared to other areas of government spending, the cost of space exploration simply is not that high. How much is seven billion dollars compared to the expenses of the U.S government on military?


He listened carefully and began to ask questions like “why don’t they advertise the products and benefits the have made so far?” “How could people understand those benefits without them being informed about it?” “As I did not do any research regarding the exploration and its benefits, I did not know about them. Now my opinion may have changed a little bit, but the money that is being spent on the research is still enormous.” I told him that it is important to invest money in companies that are working in that field because progress is not made overnight. Maybe in a few years we will be able to settle outside the borders of our planet, who knows. I told him that “If it were up to me, I would certainly start a campaign promoting space exploration and explaining the main aims of the companies. I would try to inform the world about the great achievements that have been done with the science of space exploration. I would show them that the money that is being invested into all the companies is not a waste. Instead of waging wars and the manufacturing of nuclear weapons, people should give more thought on the exploration and colonization of new planets in our solar system. To really achieve great results, I would unite all companies that are currently working on space projects that would help humanity to evolve into a species that will harvest energy from other planets or even become a species that expands to other planets.”


The most primitive sentence I heard while talking to people about my CAJ was to put humankind first. With the exploration of new resources or even a  new planet for people to be able to settle would be the greatest benefit those people could possibly have. Do you really think the scientists are exploring the universe just for fun? NO. Think about it.


I convinced my brother, but unfortunately I do not have the “power” to change everyone's minds on Earth. I hope that with my enthusiasm for this topic I could at least convince some of you that space exploration is of enormous importance. ;)

1 comment: