Monday, March 18, 2013

Oreo Addiction!

Is there something better than to be allowed to write about food?
After an hour of searching through the web I finally found a bog which is worth to write about. Actually I was searching for some healthy food but the desserts on the various blogs attracted me so much that I couldn't resist writing about a cake recipe. Advantageously I found a blog named "Jo and Sue" which have loads of recipes for "Cookies and Bars", "Desserts" and "Ice Cream" but "Joe and Sue" also write about the "Healthier Choices", so in the end I had both things I was searching for! :)
I really like their blog and I found the perfect combination of cake I can bake! In addition to the fact that last Sunday (17.03) was St. Patrick's Day and on Saturday (23.03) is my birthday, I am absolutely obsessed with these black-white, round and tasty cookies - OREO COOKIES! The buttercream frosting of the cake has a lovely mint green color so I think this would be a great idea to "combine" my birthday with St. Patrick's Day. =)

The cake is named GRASSHOPPER OREO CAKE


It is actually the Vanderwolf'sFamily Secret Chocolate Cake recipe with a Grasshopper-esque twist to it with creme de menthe and Oreo cookies instead of peanut butter and peanut butter cups. In addition they used cooked buttercream frosting instead of the regular buttercream. They said that this took a while longer to make but, in the end, it was definitely worth it.



Ingredients

Creme De Menthe Buttercream
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 cups butter, room temp, cut into Tbsp sized bits
3 Tbsp Creme De Menthe
2 tsp peppermint extract
green food coloring (optional)

1 box of mini Oreos, lightly crushed (save a few to decorate top)

Directions
Bake cake as per directions in 3 8" pans. Let cool before frosting.
Prepare buttercream - In a medium sized saucepan, whisk together sugar and flour. Whisk in milk and cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens, between 10 - 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour in bowl of stand mixer. Turn mixer on high and beat until mixture cools (Be patient, this takes 10 - 20 minutes as well).
Turn speed to low and add butter, 1 Tbsp at a time, mixing well between additions.
Turn speed back up to medium, add Creme De Menthe and peppermint extract and beat until light & fluffy. Add your green food coloring, if desired.
Assemble you cake - Place one layer of cake on serving platter. Top with a generous amount of buttercream frosting and 1/2 of the crushed Oreo cookies. Top with second layer of cake, another layer of buttercream, and remaining crushed oreos. Top with final layer of cake. Frost top and sides with remaining buttercream frosting. Decorate with the whole Oreos that you saved from the box before crushing the rest. Now you can amaze your family/guests with how fabulous your baking skills are.
Speaking for myself, I will definitely try this cake for my birthday!
If you want to see more pictures about the process of baking the cake just klick here! =)


Searching for the food blog I ran into some hilarious pics about food obssesed people like me :D


 

No comments:

Post a Comment